Explore thousands of burial records and Black History records this Findmypast Friday
Findmypast release more English burial records, plus important documents from Black History in their latest record update.
These records, numbering at nearly 4,500, detail the manumissions of enslaved Jamaicans. Free to view, you can discover biographical details of both the enslaved person and the enslaver.
Enslaved people who had been freed were required by Jamaican law to prove their freedom: this is what the collection documents. The language, which reflected social attitudes of the time, is now understood to be outdated and derogatory.
After viewing the transcript, you can also view the original image using the available link, which will take you to the British Library’s website.
Over 700,000 new transcripts have been added to this collection.
The new records for Kent, Staffordshire, Leicestershire and Rutland allow you to find your ancestor’s burial place, age, year of death and religious denomination.
Findmypast has added nearly 200,000 newspaper pages this week. The seven brand new titles include the Finchley Press and Skegness News. Plus, several existing titles have been updated.
- Finchley Press, 1895-1899, 1901-1909
- Glasgow Evening Times, 1879, 1884
- Hoddesdon and Broxbourne Mercury, 1984
- Liverpool Mercantile Gazette and Myers’s Weekly Advertiser, 1822, 1826-1827, 1829-1832, 1834-1843, 1845-1873, 1875
- Romsey Register and General News Gazette, 1859-1866, 1868-1873, 1875-1886, 1888-1894
- Skegness News, 1909-1962
- Skyrack Courier, 1886-1893, 1895-1898, 1900-1917, 1919-1923
- Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, 1975, 1977, 1979
- Buckinghamshire Examiner, 1944, 1946-1950, 1952-1954
- Carmarthen Journal, 1849
- Coventry Standard, 1946, 1955
- Daily Herald, 1951
- Diss Express, 1972, 1976-1979
- Fulham Chronicle, 1985
- Leicester Daily Mercury, 1955
- Liverpool Journal of Commerce, 1896
- Lynn Advertiser, 1945, 1950-1951, 1997
- New Milton Advertiser, 1978-1979, 1995-1997
- Newark Advertiser, 1994-1996, 1998-1999
- Nottingham Evening Post, 1970-1971
- Pontypridd Observer, 1978-1979, 1981
- Retford, Gainsborough & Worksop Times, 1955
- Southall Gazette, 1984
- Stirling Observer, 1849
- Winsford Chronicle, 1972
- Witness (Belfast), 1882, 1898, 1938