New releases from Wales to the West Indies
With over 1.6 million Welsh electoral records and census substitutes from the Caribbean, where with this week’s Findmypast Friday update take you?
Search over 5,000 brand new additions to fill any gaps in your family tree. Exclusive to Findmypast and now containing over 3.3 million transcripts and images, these records will enable you to discover English and Welsh ancestors who left estates that incurred an inheritance tax.
Created by the Estate Duty Office (later to become the Inland Revenue), each result will provide you with the name and address of the testator, their date of death as well as the name and address of the administrator. The information captured by this index may also help you obtain copies of original entries from the Death Duty Register and track down your ancestors will or administration.
Containing over 1.6 million records, this expansive collection details over 80 years of electoral registers and Burgess Rolls for the Borough of Swansea in West Glamorgan.
Each result will provide you with the name, address and “qualification” of the individual who had registered to vote making them a valuable census substitute. Electoral registers are also and excellent resource for exploring the history of your home or local area.
Search these early name lists for early settlers of the islands of Anguilla, Antigua, Montserrat, Nevis and St Kitts (St Christopher Island). Containing roughly 6,000 transcripts, this collection will provide you with the names, race, gender and location of the islands’ inhabitants as well as the date they were recorded and, in some instances, their title, age, occupation, nationality, and parish.
This week sees 116,740 new pages, eight brand-new Welsh titles and updates to 28 existing publications join Findmypast’s ever expanding newspaper archive.
- Caerphilly Journal, 1914-1943
- Herald Cymraeg, 1858-1900, 1902, 1904-1911, 1913-1916
- Porthcawl Guardian, 1933-1961
- Porthcawl News, 1910, 1912-1925
- Newport Gazette, 1857-1869, 1891
- Cardiff Shipping and Mercantile Gazette, 1875-1881, 1883-1886, 1888-1889
- Y Gwyliedydd, 1877-1883, 1885-1887, 1889
- Rhondda Socialist Newspaper, 1911-1914
- Atherstone News and Herald, 1911-1912, 1950
- Saffron Walden Weekly News, 1985, 1993
- Hull Daily News, 1879, 1896-1899
- Coleshill Chronicle, 1874
- Fleetwood Chronicle, 1845
- Press (London), 1860
- Sun & Central Press, 1871
- Grantham Journal, 1971, 1998-1999
- Herts and Essex Observer, 1981
- New Milton Advertiser, 1993
- London and China Express, 1916-1917, 1921
- Fenland Citizen, 1993
- Newark Advertiser, 1992
- Stamford Mercury, 1954, 1985
- Spalding Guardian, 1893-1894, 1903, 1921, 1976
- Diss Express, 1993
- South Wales Daily Telegram, 1888
- Y Tyst, 1893
- Newcastle Guardian and Silverdale, Chesterton and Audley Chronicle, 1897
- Glamorgan Advertiser, 1950
- South Wales Weekly Argus and Monmouthshire Advertiser, 1897
- Llanelly and County Guardian and South Wales Advertiser, 1911
- Kilmarnock Standard, 1875-1891
- Flintshire Observer, 1899, 1912
- South Eastern Gazette, 1875
- Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette, 1872
With Thanks to Findmypast