Findmypast adds key resources for military family history this Findmypast Friday
Findmypast Friday sees brand new military wills, service records and more released online.
Over 20,000 new wills have been added into this existing collection, covering the years 1786-1822. The records could contain the date of the will, their rank and the name of the ship they served on. The originals can be accessed via The National Archives website and contain even more rich detail.
Brand new this week, this collection encompasses nearly 17,000 records from the First World War. It’s possible to uncover names, ranks, service numbers, and often additional notes. The records are for privates and non-commissioned officers, and is a work in progress endeavouring to identify all men who enlisted and served in the British West Indies Regiment (BWIR) during the First World War. It is compiled and collated from multiple sources.
A further 10,000 new records have been added into this existing collection, covering Poole Cemetery in Dorset. Taken from gravestones, tombs, monuments and even stained-glass windows, you may discover key biographical details, including additional notes such as what’s written in the dedication.
Four new titles have been added to the newspaper archive this week, including two from Suffolk.
- Bury & Suffolk Standard, 1869-1870, 1873-1887
- Bury and Suffolk Herald, 1827-1837, 1839-1849
- Manchester Metro News, 1993-1994
- Northfleet and Swanscombe Standard, 1896, 1898-1907
- Building News, 1890-1891
- Cambridge Daily News, 1998
- Cambridge Weekly News, 1988
- Derby Daily Telegraph, 1888, 1898, 1951-1956, 1958-1970, 1973-1975, 1977-1979, 1981-1982, 1984-1985
- Galloway News and Kirkcudbrightshire Advertiser, 1988
- Harrow Informer, 1994
- Hinckley Times, 1889-1896, 1899, 1903-1904, 1907-1908, 1911-1912, 1917-1922, 1925, 1936, 1940-1942, 1945-1946, 1949, 1954-1955, 1964, 1971-1972
- Horncastle Target, 1994
- Ilfracombe Chronicle, 1893
- Kerry Reporter, 1913
- Leicester Daily Mercury, 1927
- Ormskirk Advertiser, 1995
- Paisley Daily Express, 1998
- Royston and Buntingford Mercury, 1994
- Staffordshire Sentinel, 1859, 1861-1862, 1885-1886, 1952-1956, 1958-1959, 1961-1963, 1981-1985
- Stanmore Observer, 1994-1995
- Tamworth Herald, 1999
- Torbay Express and South Devon Echo, 1947, 1973
- Walton & Weybridge Informer, 1994
- Weekly Examiner (Belfast), 1876, 1879
- Wellingborough & Rushden Herald & Post, 1994
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser, 1865, 1950
- Wokingham Times, 1948