Search new Far East Directories and London Synagogue records
This week’s Findmypast Friday update involves two unique record collections spanning 108 years.
Did your ancestors work or reside in the Far East? Discover more with this collection of directories and chronicles that cover the international community in China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Indo-China, Straits Settlements, Malaysia, Siam, Dutch East Indies, Borneo and The Philippines.
Consisting of over 70,000 records printed in books that were published between 1833-1941, the collection provides listings of active corporations, foreign residents and government agencies of all nationalities for each particular year, together with their addresses in countries including Borneo, China, Indo-China, Japan, Korea and The Philippines.
They were compiled annually from many different local sources, and include names and addresses of Western corporations, institutions, consulates and foreign residents including large numbers of Americans, Canadians and Australians. Details of the residents include addresses, occupations and employers.
Parts of these books can also contain details of treaties, conflicts, changes of jurisdiction, relevant law, currencies and taxes, public holidays, festivals and traditions.
Discover your Jewish heritage with this collection of seat holders from a number of synagogues across the area now known as Greater London.
Covering 16 synagogues from Bayswater to Stoke Newington, these transcripts and images provide a snapshot of a time in which the Jewish population of Britain was saw significant growth, rising from 46,000 to 250,000 between 1880-1919. Many of these new arrivals were refugees from Russia, fleeing the Pale of Settlement region in which Jewish residents had faced terrible persecution and been forced from their homes.
This week’s update sees Findmypast publish five brand new titles along with substantial updates to 13 existing ones.
- Bromley & West Kent Mercury, 1919, 1921, 1927-1930, 1933-1950
- India, 1890-1921
- Sheffield Public Advertiser, 1760-1763, 1768, 1770, 1772, 1774, 1776, 1787, 1790-1793
- South London Mail, 1888-1906
- Swanage Times & Directory, 1919-1936
- Barrow Herald and Furness Advertiser, 1875, 1891
- Cambria Daily Leader, 1897, 1911
- Glasgow Courier, 1851, 1856
- Lancashire Evening Post, 1911-1915
- Lancaster Standard and County Advertiser, 1897
- Liverpool Journal of Commerce, 1861-1862, 1864-1867, 1869, 1871, 1890-1891, 1897, 1899-1905
- Macclesfield Courier and Herald, Congleton Gazette, Stockport Express, and Cheshire General Advertiser. 1844, 1858-1859, 1877, 1891
- Newark Advertiser, 1879-1891, 1897, 1905, 1908-1909, 1911, 1914, 1917, 1958, 1963, 1966-1968
- Northern Weekly Gazette, 1876, 1913
- Porthcawl Guardian, 1958
- Swansea and Glamorgan Herald, 1869
- West Ham and South Essex Mail, 1928
- Weymouth Telegram, 1874, 1876, 1879-1881
With thanks to Findmypast