Explore a fascinating book of Scottish Witches, new crime records and more this Findmypast Friday.
Findmypast are conjuring up witchcraft and wrongdoings in Scotland’s past this week. What spine-tingling stories will you discover?
Here’s what’s new on the most frightening Findmypast Friday of the year.
In this small but fascinating collection, you’ll find details on some of those accused of witchcraft in early modern Scotland.
1563’s Witchcraft Act made consorting with witches or taking part in witchcraft a crime punishable by death in Scotland. Around 1,500 people were executed, most of them women, until the last Scottish witch trial in 1727.
Unlock criminals and victims in your Scottish family tree with this detail-rich collection. The records include names, occupations, addresses and information about the crimes.
This resource comprises prison records, precognitions and trial papers from all over Scotland, as well as the Fife Kalendar of Convicts. From fiends and felons to bone-chilling revelations, where will the dark side of your Scottish family story take you?
This week, Findmypast have added 19 new papers, including 13 from Scotland. The latest arrivals include:
- Annandale Herald and Moffat News covering 1889-1892
- Ayr Observer covering 1844, 1883, 1886-1887, 1889-1890 and 1892
- Bridge of Allan Reporter covering 1890-1892
- Courier and West-End Advertiser covering 1869-1880
- Crieff Journal covering 1891-1892
- Dufftown News and Speyside Advertiser covering 1898-1922 and 1935-1961
- Edinburgh Evening Dispatch covering 1886-1892, 1894-1895 and 1897
- Edinburgh News and Literary Chronicle covering 1848-1863
- Evening Gazette (Aberdeen) covering 1882-1883, 1886-1889 and 1891-1892
- Glasgow Property Circular and West of Scotland Weekly Advertiser covering 1879, 1883, 1886-1887 and 1890-1891
- London and Liverpool Advertiser covering 1847
- London News Letter and Price Current covering 1859-1865
- London Weekly Investigator covering 1855-1857
- North British Advertiser & Ladies’ Journal covering 1879, 1882-1883, 1885-1886 and 1889-1892
- Northern Advertiser (Aberdeen) covering 1891-1892
- Scottish Leader covering 1888 and 1890-1893
- Scottish Press covering 1849-1850, 1852-1854, 1856-1857, 1859-1860 and 1862
- Tichborne News and Anti-Oppression Journal covering 1872
- Town and Country Advertiser covering 1834-1836
While 15 publications have been updated with extra pages, including:
- Aberystwyth Observer from 1898
- Greenock Herald from 1853, 1858, 1863, 1868 and 1878
- Harborne Herald from 1896
- Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal from 1726-1733, 1735-1741, 1743-1764 and 1767-1768
- Kilmarnock Weekly Post and County of Ayr Reporter from 1856-1863
- Lynn Advertiser from 1994
- Newark Advertiser from 1992
- Rhos Herald from 1898
- Seren Cymru from 1895
- South Wales Argus from 1911
- South Wales Weekly Argus and Monmouthshire Advertiser from 1898 and 1910
- St. Austell Star from 1897
- Stamford Mercury from 1916
- Suffolk and Essex Free Press from 1994
- Warminster Herald from 1858, 1870-1871, 1875-1876, 1881 and 1885-1886
With Thanks to Findmypast