New Non-Conformist & Jamaican records available to search this Findmypast Friday
Vital life event records from England and Jamaica plus a host of new and updated newspapers – here’s what’s new to Findmypast this week.
Were your ancestors religious dissenters? Findmypast have added thousands of new Surrey Methodist records to this vast collection of more than 1.6 million Birth’s and Baptisms.
Each record contains both an image and a transcript of the original register. The amount of information varies, but you can generally find out the following about your non-conformist ancestors:
- Your ancestors’ names
- Their birth and baptism dates
- Where they were baptised
- Their parents’ names
- Their godparents’ names
- Their family’s religious beliefs
Historically, many non-conformists used their local parish church for registration purposes, despite their religious differences and even after the Toleration Act of 1689 granted the freedom to worship. Some non-conformists did keep their own registers, particularly for baptisms and burials in the period between 1689 and 1837, and it is these valuable records that make up this collection.
The original documents are all housed at The National Archives in Kew as part of their RG4, RG5, and RG8 series. There are more than 50 denominations covered; some of which existed only briefly and are no longer practiced today. The collection also includes a significant number of French Protestant or Huguenot records.
With improved search features, Findmypast’s Jamaican collection continues to grow. Explore over 780,000 new birth, baptism, marriage and death records to flesh out the Jamaican branches of your family tree.
Explore the collection as a whole or hone in on the record you need by searching each distinct record set:
Combine these latest releases with Findmypast’s exclusive archive of newspaper pages from the Royal Gazette of Jamaica to add detail and colour to your research.
Four new papers and generous updates to 12 others sees Findmypast’s newspaper collection continue to grow.
Brand new to the site this week are:
- Peterborough Standard covering 1872-1962
- Haddingtonshire Advertiser and East-Lothian Journal covering 1881-1888
- Invergordon Times and General Advertiser covering 1879-1886, 1888 and 1892
- Ben Brierley’s Journal covering 1874-1881, 1883-1884, 1886 and 1888-1889
While thousands of new pages have been added to:
- Port Talbot Guardian from 1961-1980
- Northman and Northern Counties Advertiser from 1880, 1882-1883 and 1885-1886
- Daily Mirror from 1918
- Kelso Mail from 1876, 1879-1880, 1883-1884 and 1886
- Kirkcaldy Times from 1880-1882 and 1884-1885
- Wolverhampton Express and Star from 1874-1876, 1878-1879 and 1881
- Bradford Observer from 1954-1956
- Evening Mail from 1861-1864 and 1868
- Helensburgh News from 1879-1885
- Marylebone Mercury from 1926-1932, 1934, 1936-1937 and 1946
- Manchester Times from 1857 and 1863
- Nantwich Chronicle from 1965-1970
With Thanks to Findmypast