Search new Irish Poor Law records and British newspapers this Findmypast Friday
Findmypast is home to the largest collection of Irish family records online. This week’s Findmypast Friday sees their vast collection grow again with thousands of new and exclusive Poor Law records.
Over 158,000 additional records covering Kilmacthomas and Dungarvan between 1845 and 1921 have been added to the collection.
The Board of Guardians were charged with the task of distributing relief to the completely destitute in each Union. They operated workhouses which were built to hold 600-800 inmates, but were overwhelmed with thousands coming to their doors seeking salvation from disease and starvation.
Including both transcripts and images of original documents, these minute books contain the names and details of inmates, staff and suppliers, weekly reports of how many men and women were housed in the workhouse, how many were discharged or died, the number of births and more.
They often deal with individual cases in some detail and also record the workhouse expenditures such food, clothing or salaries and the number of inmates receiving medical treatments.
Over 21,000 new records from Kilrush Union have also been added to Findmypast’s Clare Poor Law collections. Also including both transcripts and images, these new additions cover meeting minutes dated between 1848 and 1870.
Alongside Findmypast’s workhouse records from Clare and Waterford, you’ll also find collections from Dublin, Donegal, Galway and Sligo on Findmypast. Few workhouse registers survive in Ireland, and in their absence the Board of Guardian minute books are often the only record of who was housed there.
Eight new papers have joined Findmypast’s newspaper archives this week, including;
- British Army Despatch covering 1848-1856
- City Chronicle covering 1840-1843
- Commercial Chronicle (London) covering 1816 and 1819-1822
- Fleming’s British Farmers’ Chronicle covering 1864
- London Mercury 1828 covering 1828
- London Mercury 1847 covering 1847-1848
- Sainsbury’s Weekly Register and Advertising Journal covering 1859-1863
- Thacker’s Overland News for India and the Colonies covering 1860-1863
While additional pages have been added to the following titles:
- Brief from 1879
- Bury Free Press from 1982-1984 and 1986
- Glasgow Courier from 1848
- Liverpool Journal of Commerce covering 1870, 1882, 1911-1917, 1921-1927, 1929 and 1931-1939
- Newmarket Journal from 1882-1896, 1898-1911, 1913-1917 and 1982-1984
- Pilot (London) from 1815
- Press (London) from 1861-1866
- Sheerness Times Guardian from 1885, 1887, 1895, 1897, 1899-1900, 1902-1910, 1912-1915, 1922-1939, 1981 and 1987
- Weekly Times (London) from 1830-1831
- Widnes Examiner from 1917