Findmypast Friday: Brand new travel records and feature enhancements
Along with brand new records and newspapers, a nifty update to Findmypast’s search experience is now live.
With indexes unique to Findmypast, explore three volumes of highly detailed information on the families and communities of Colonial America.
Containing over 34,000 names and consisting of both searchable transcripts and PDF images of Henry B Whitmore’s original 1898 work, this collection provides detailed biographies and family histories of early American settlers.
Users can search for their early American ancestors by name, year, town or state as well as optional keywords to refine results even further.
Step back in time and see the eye-catching 20th Century adverts that enticed thousands to take to the seas.
These visually rich relics from the golden age of the Ocean Liner can provide additional context surrounding the experiences of sea-faring ancestors.
Findmypast have also added over 200,000 newspaper pages to their collection of British and Irish newspapers with five brand new publications and updates to 16 existing titles. New to the collection are:
- Football News (Nottingham) from 1891-1895 and 1898-1914
- Workman’s Advocate (Merthyr Tydfil) from 1873-1875
- Birmingham & Aston Chronicle from 1875-1888
- Wolverhampton Express and Star from 1876-1877, 1880 and 1885, 1889
- Herts and Essex Observer from 1874-1875, 1877-1878 and 1880-1889
While substantial updates have been added to:
- Gentlewoman covering 1896 and 1916-1926
- Liverpool Courier and Commercial Advertiser covering 1889
- Ballinrobe Chronicle and Mayo Advertiser covering 1881
- Cavan Weekly News and General Advertiser covering 1897 and 1903
- Manchester & Salford Advertiser covering 1843-1845 and 1848
- The Halesworth Times and East Suffolk Advertiser covering 1881, 1883-1886 and 1889-1899
- Bromyard News covering 1913-1924
- Marylebone Mercury covering 1872-1876, 1878, 1884, 1886, 1897-1925 and 1948-1978
- Strabane Weekly News covering 1908-1910
- Meath Herald and Cavan Advertiser covering 1917-1921 and 1924-1932
- Fife News covering 1885
- Halifax Evening Courier covering 1892
- Otley News and West Riding Advertiser covering 1889
- Blyth News covering 1911
- Dartmouth & South Hams chronicle covering 1910-1912
- Dundee Weekly News covering 1884
Searching for specific collections on Findmypast is now easier than ever. With Findmypast’s new and improved list of all record sets, users can search by topic, filter by location and date range to find the resources most relevant to their research within Findmypast’s vast archive of more than 14 billion records.
Users can access this handy feature by selecting ‘All record sets’ on the Search menu when logged into the site.