New Records Available To Search This Findmypast Friday
We’ve added over 23,000 new records and over 113,000 newspaper pages this week. They include a sizeable tranche of records from the Southern English county of Devon.
This brand new collection covers ships administered in the Devon ports of Appledore, Barnstaple and Bideford between 1595 and 1705. The records reveal:
- The names of the ship’s masters and merchants
- The ship’s name and the year it was entered in the port book
- The ship’s cargo, tonnage and trade type
These port books are not only valuable from a family history perspective, they also act as evidence of the development of global trade in the 16th and 17th centuries. They were used by different types of customs officials including Collectors, Controllers and Searchers.
Our collection of Devon parish registers (which includes many exclusives you won’t find anywhere else online) has grown again. We’ve added baptism records covering four parish churches in the county:
- Appledore, Independent Chapel
- Appledore, Ebenezer Baptist Chapel
- Appledore, Methodist Chapel
- Bideford, Methodist Circuit
Baptism records give you the detail behind one of the biggest milestones in your ancestor’s early life including where and when they were baptised and their parents’ names. The latest additions date back to the 1750s, with much of this collection stretching as far back as the 1500s.
Our Devon burial records have been supplemented with additions from the parish of Northam. Burial records will usually contain useful family tree information including your ancestor’s age at death, where and when they were buried and their religious denomination.
Our dedicated search page allows you to filter by burial and death year, burial place, denomination and archive, making it quick and easy to find what you’re looking for.
Did your family own a public house or live and work in an orchard? Land tax records could help you find out. New additions from Northam and Clovelly have been added to this collection.
In the records you’ll find information on:
- The land owner’s and occupier’s names
- The year or year range that the events were recorded
- The year the valuation took place
- The sum of money paid on the property
This unique record collection is available through our ongoing partnerships with the Devon Record Office and the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office.
Hot off the press, we’ve released six brand new publications, including four from Northern Ireland:
- People’s Advocate and Monaghan, Fermanagh, and Tyrone News covering the years 1876-1905
- North Down Herald and County Down Independent covering the years 1898-1929, 1931-1938
- County Down Spectator and Ulster Standard covering the years 1904-1912
- Fermanagh Herald covering the years 1903-1912
- Acton Gazette covering the years 1886, 1918-1920, 1967-1980
- Jewish Chronicle covering the year 1896
We’ve also added more coverage to a further three papers as follows:
- Reading Evening Post – pages from 1966-1967 and 1977-1979 added
- Staffordshire Sentinel – pages from 1920-1929 and 1942 added
- Staines & Ashford News – pages from 1992 added
Our burgeoning global record collection has grown again with the release of two sets of vital records from the Central American nation of Honduras:
- Honduras Baptism Index 1730-1930
- Honduras Marriage Index 1800-1910
These collections, part of the International Genealogical Index, will help you track your ancestors if they settled in or hailed from Honduras.
With thanks to Findmypast