Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1828-1930
The records added to Ancestry’s website relate to settlement and removals in the Poor Law Unions of Bethnal Green, Hackney, Poplar, Shoreditch, and Stepney. They include examinations and settlement inquiries, registers of settlement, orders of removal, and other documents.
The details included in these records vary widely and depend on the nature of the document.
An order of removal record may contain a name, age, current parish, and parish being removed to, whilst the settlement register may note number of children and marital status.
Documents from inquiries and examinations can be even more extensive and you may be able to uncover some of the following information:
- Places and dates of residence (both current and former)
- Spouse and marriage details
- Children’s names, birth dates, and birthplace
- Other family members’ names and residences
- Summary of the situation and grounds for settlement or removal
If you have any ancestors living in these Poor Law Unions, then these records may uncover further details of their life.
With reference to Ancestry.co.uk